We intend to provide regular updates from the Board of Elders covering organizational information and prayer requests. If you have questions or comments, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To see the current Board Oversight/Governance Policies click here. To view the Mission Hills Church Constitution & Bylaws (revision approved March 26. 2017), click here.
Elder Update – March 28, 2017
Bob Sharpell has submitted his letter of resignation to the Board of Elders, effective March 30, 2017. In his letter Bob expressed his support for the current direction of Mission Hills Church, but said he felt his effectiveness as an Elder had been diminished due to concerns recently expressed to the Board by church Members about contrary statements he had made on numerous occasions several months ago. Bob was invited to meet with all the Elders in confidence to address these concerns and clarify his current position, but he repeatedly declined to meet with the Board, and chose to resign his office.
Membership Approves Constitution Revision
The Board recommended revision in several sections of our Constitution & Bylaws. The changes included:
- Replacing Purpose Driven Church language with our calling and commitments.
- Adding a Doctrinal Introduction to show how our Statement of Faith is rooted in the history and tradition of the Church.
- Restating our commitment to practice both the Lord’s Supper and Baptism as part of our “Core Practices.”
- Replacing “Senior Pastor” title with “Pastoral Elder” to accommodate our shared leadership model; adding a new category of “Staff Elder”; and revising the elder appointment process from election to affirmation.
These changes were approved at the March 26 Quarterly Business Meeting by the required two-thirds majority vote of the church Membership. The newly revised document is available online as noted above. Please let us know any corrections, i.e. typos, questions, and suggestions for the next round of revisions (probably a few years from now) at email@example.com.
Membership Affirms Pastors Jamin Goggin and Mike Goulet as Elders
Also at the March 26 Quarterly Business Meeting Jamin Goggin and Mike Goulet were affirmed by the required two-thirds majority as Pastoral Elder and Staff Elder, respectively.
Josh Prosser Joins Staff as Assistant Director of Children’s Ministry
We are pleased, thankful, and excited that Josh Prosser has accepted our offer of employment as Assistant Director of our Children’s Ministry. Josh has worked faithfully and effectively as a summer intern and as a volunteer in both our youth and children’s ministries while continuing his college education at California Baptist University in Riverside.
Youth Ministries Director Search Continues
We are encouraged by having received many applications for our Director of Student Ministries position. We hope to complete our hiring process within the next couple months.
Worship service times on Easter, April 16, will be 6:15am (outdoor sunrise service), 9, 10, and 11am.
The Gospel Exhibit is back with even more displays than before – services, including communion, are Wednesday, April 12: 6:30 pm; Thursday, April 13: 6:30 pm; Good Friday, April 14: 4, 5, 6, & 7 pm (Childcare birth through 5 years available at 5 & 6 pm). Tickets (free) are available at the Connection Center on Sunday mornings, and at the church office during the week.
- For wisdom and discernment in the Lay Elder and Nominating Committee selection process. The Nominating Committee is diligently vetting all those whose names have been suggested by our congregation, and will soon provide recommendations to the Elder Board.
- For more of our people to share their time and love in service as Ministry Partners – especially to our children and youth, but also in Emergency Response Team, audio/visual tech teams, shuttle drivers, hosts, Café, and more.
- For our people to demonstrate the “Way of Love” through local ministry opportunities.
- For continued financial support for the church ministries, staff, and campus from the Mission Hills Church family.